Saturday, August 10, 2013

This morning I had an epiphany. Thinking about the scripture: .... to afflict and torment man" .... A pearl is a small round natural gem formed when a grain of sand, foreign object or body get lodged in the flesh of a mollusk, irritating the flesh, which responds by coating the grain with many layers of protein and other compounds to protect itself. Pearls are the result of a biological process -- the oyster's way of protecting itself from foreign substances. The formation of a natural pearl begins when a foreign substance slips into the oyster between the mantle and the shell, which irritates the mantle. It's kind of like the oyster getting a splinter. The oyster's natural reaction is to cover up that irritant to protect itself. The mantle covers the irritant with layers of the same nacre substance that is used to create the shell. This eventually forms a pearl. How can we do that? How can we learn to make the best of the worst ? Are we not as the oyster, trying to exist in our world too? Putting layers of soft comfortable substances over the things that irritate us? God put us on this earth to do just the same thing. To make a beautiful pearl (or life) out of the things that afflict and torment us. I am sure we all know people who seem to have way more of these irritants in life and way more pain and suffering than others do. Somehow they can wrap up the irritating substances and make their lives beautiful again. I have counted my blessings everyday and pray that I will not be tried as some people have. I am not sure why but for some reason it has been one of my biggest blessings in life to have been spared huge trials- Of course that is not to say I have not had trials. I have had plenty, but at least they are the ones I have been able to bear and that is a testimony to me that the Lord will only give us trials that we can bear. I guess I have lots to learn still but for now I will feel blessed beyond measure and let the Lord decide when i need to grow. He can decide when I need to make more pearls.

No comments: