Friday, November 16, 2007

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING GRANDMA

To my family. I decided to make a progress page of my lap band surgery. Dont feel obligated to read it. It is just my way of tracking how I'm doing .
Monday morning was my starting point. I arrived at the surgical center at 8:00 a. m. sharp! I went onto surgery around noon. They were late as doctors always are. I was a bit scared to be honest. Its a rather weird feeling to lay there on an operating table and feel yourself go under just knowing that things will be very different in your life when you wake up. If you wake up at all .. Well i did wake up, and it took me quite a while to come out of the drowsy state I was in. I guess getting older causes that. Greg was there and I was so happy he was. Going through something like this not something one wants to do alone. He has been very supporitive and helpful. After surgery we went back to our hotel where I recuperated some and tried to figure out what I coud take in and what I could keep down. They have to fill your body cavity where your stomach is, with carbonation, so that they can see all the different organs clearly. This caused me much grief and pain in the "gas department". Im sure you are all getting a visual you dont want with this discription. Just to comfort you some, It was just a large amount of belching at this point. I was so happy that they gave me some pain medication. I used it regularly which is rare for me . It was a in lots of pain and uncomfortable feeling.
The next day, Tuesday, we decided to drive back to Utah. Looking back now, this was not a good idea. Sitting in the car all day, caused more disconfort for me and stress, but when we did get home I was so happy to be here. I tried to rest as much as possible but I was very uncomfortable, and at times wished I had not done this at all. Remember at this point I have still not eaten one thing. I have had water, a popsicle, and some apple juice. When i say some, I am talking about a 1/4 of a cup total of anything. That includes water, and pain medication. Wed was just as difficult and I tried to sleep lots and go for walks . I know at this point I am getting dehydrated some and my body is not used to going without food this long. The interesting thing is that I could not say i was actually hungry. Thursday was much the same but i did get up more and actaully drove to the store and got a pill crusher. All my other medication has to be crushed and mixed with a liquid to be taken. Nothing larger than a baby asprin can go through the opening of my new stomach.
Things are slow for sure but today, Friday, I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel .The good side is , I have already lost 8 lbs. Im sure it is water weight. The bad side is, it has been very uncomfortable, and at times scary and clostraphobic. I have just had to be patient and slow with the drinking etc. I have not eaten any solid food except a bit of jello now and then. Im finally off the pain meds today as well. I have been able to sleep good so far and i have gone on 2 walks a day, inspite of beng rather weak from not eating. Its amazing how the body adjusts to what it has to. The burping has slowed down now since the carbanation is subsiding in my body. Today I feel there is hope and that i can do this. As long as no other complications arise. I would not reccommend sitting in a car at all the day after surgery. I think that led to swelling in the stomach, and the doctor agrees . Sadie and Charlie come today for the thanksgiving holiday so now I have some fun times to keep my mind off all this .

2 comments:

Paul said...

good job mom

Hannah Stayner said...

wow mommy you are a trooper. I would die without food for that long...