Thursday, February 14, 2008

Grandmafreddie IS still alive !

After my drive back from Sandy, the title of my blog is even more fitting than before. I have lived in Montana, Idaho, Spokane Wash. and Utah, and driven on many terrible roads, but never in my life have I been on roads like I was on yesterday from 3:30pm until 11:00 pm. I thought I would beat the storm that I thought was behind me, but much to my surprise it was beside me, infront of me, and behind me. With 70 mile per hour wind gusts swirling around my car, snow packed roads with a thick layer of ice beneath it, all I could do was pray and slowly drive ( 7 miles per hour from Filmore to Beaver ) behind a semi truck so I could see his lights for guidence. The only way I really new I was still on the road was to listen for the rumble strips along the right side, and then move over an inch or 2 until I was centerd again. When the semi truck started to slide out of control, I knew I could be in big trouble too. Some how my trusty Avalon ( my old grandma car, as the kids call it). got me home safely. 7 and one half hours driving with white nuckels made for a real stiff back and neck the next day. Some of you might ask, "why the heck didnt you pull off the freeway and stay over night some place?" The answer is, I could not see any exit signs in time to get off the road. And if I stopped on the side of the road, I would have been hit from behind or buried in the storm until morning. I also know some of you might be thinking. " No one is stupid enough to drive in those conditions. Well your right! I was stupid for sure, and dont any of my kids ever try it.

No comments: