I didn't think I would ever think that home was not home any more, but the other day when I went to my old stomping grounds in Jerome Idaho to reminisce a bit, I realized that it was not really home any more. Although, a flood of memories came back to me as I drove around to each old home I had lived in there. It seemed like a different world to me now to see the little old homes that once were beautiful and warm and filled with fun times. I really did have a fun childhood , and its hard to compare today with back then. At the time, when I was a kid, I thought the homes were huge and now they all seem so small. I have very wonderful memories of my grandparents homes too and no matter how long I have been away I can still remember very distinct things from those places. The taste of homemade bread with butter and sugar on it at my Grandma Hansen's home
, and Grandma Arnold soup made of bacon boiled in water with small dumpling like noodles in 
it. I could put as much sugar on my cereal, and grapefruit as I wanted at Grandma Arnold's house and whenever I went there for an evening we got to sit out on the porch and have orange soda with vanilla ice cream in it. Now that was a real treat ! I have great memories of me and my cousin Joyce laughing forever as we got into lots of mischief at my house on Cleavland street.
tormenting our sisters and jumping on the bed till midnight, with stickery curlers in our hair.
So much has changed now and it will never be the same, but home really is only a word. Home is only where your loved ones are, and when the people are no longer in the house, then it is not home any more.
3 comments:
i kinda miss jerome too now that we dont have any reason to get up there. so many memories.
Oh those houses are really cute! You know me, I love old homes ha ha. That is really fun that you got to go back and see those. I wish life was as simple now as it was back then.
My memories of Jerome are so vivid too. I used to love the smell of the grain in the tack shed and all the kittens running around in there. I loved going there!
Post a Comment